PSL's Make me SICK!
At least the one's from Starbucks do anyway…
I tweeted earlier this week that I know this is literally the MOST basic first world problem ever. However, I still consider it a problem! As someone who literally waits for the time of year where it’s not too cold but just cool enough to enjoy a warm, seasonal beverage… you can imagine how devastating it was when I became sick after drinking one!
I’m a fairly new “Starbucks lover” *sings incorrect Blank Space Taylor Swift lyrics.*
But I’d say over the last year and a half or so I’ve become a BIG fan. It probably has something to do with the fact that they’re on every corner in Boston. I used to frequent the local coffee shop I worked at in Rhode Island and occasionally Dunkin’ Donuts. – Their PSL’s have never made me sick!
On Labor Day I headed back to the city early so that I could finish unpacking (yes, we are still unpacking.) I thought a PSL would be a perfect treat to give me the kick in the pants I needed to tackle the last few piles/boxes/get things organized. Boy, was I wrong!
I got an iced PSL and as I was drinking it I thought it tasted different and looked WAY more orange than I remembered before. Honestly, it did kind of creep me out to be drinking something that color. About an hour or so later I was sick as a dog. Food poisoning sick... and knew it had to be from that latte. :(
When I was telling my friend Nicole about what happened, she mentioned that they have changed their recipe this season and perhaps that had something to do with it…
Naturally, I googled…
- Milk – I drink it with soy.
- Pumpkin Spice Flavored Sauce (Sugar, Condensed Skim Milk, Pumpkin Puree, Contains 2% or Less of Fruit and Vegetable Juice for Color, Natural Flavors, Annatto (Color), Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Salt)
- Whipped Cream (Light Whipping Cream [Cream, Mono and Diglycerides, Carrageenan]) - I dont get the whipped cream
- Starbucks Vanilla Syrup (Sugar, Water, Natural Flavors, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Citric Acid)
- Pumpkin Spice Topping (Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, Clove)
Honestly, this ingredient list isn’t THAT bad… I was expecting much worse. But none the less… that will be my last Starbucks PSL for a good while I’m sure.
I’ve always looked forward to PSL season or even just enjoying a pumpkin spice iced coffee. Here’s hoping my entire pumpkin season isn’t ruined!